Friday, January 30, 2009

The second half of 2008

Its been a long time since I have updated my blog, and if I would state the reasons, there will be a never-ending list, but since the last time I had put a post on my blog, a lot many things have happened in this world, which have in a sense kept everyone on their toes.

On a personal front, nothing drastic or radical has happened though, but for the normal routine life. As I think of it, and try to refresh my memory just to pen down at least one significant event for each month since august, I really find it difficult, Hmmmmmmmmm,

Oh yes, myself and Uday had organized a wonderful event at office, which came out very well and was well appreciated by one and all, that was way back in august, My goodness, time sure does runs faster than god knows what. Our boss was so much impressed with our work that he nominated us for a training program on leadership, we were very much excited about it, especially me, because the brochure that was handed over to us was very attractive to begin with, and according to it, we were supposed to spend three nights and two days, somewhere in the wilderness of the nilgiri hills, we were supposed to stay in tents, and it involved trekking, rock climbing and other adventure events too, The only thing about the program that didn’t meet our expectation was the age group of the others who had attended that program, We were the youngest of the lot there, and that was kind of boring initially, but once we got to know each other, it kind of became interesting. The program was aptly named “Born Again”, and likely so, as it was for all those Managers who had reached the zenith of their professional careers and were looking for a fresh dose of leadership gyaan. Anyways, we did have our share of enjoyment, and it surely was a change from the mightily boring life that I was slowly getting used to.

Coming to September, One thing that prominently comes to my mind is the Job fair that I had got an opportunity to attend at Vellore, It was organized by the government of Tamil Nadu, and was a lot different from any previous job fairs that I had attended, usually the ones organized in Bangalore or Hyderabad or any other city for that matter by private players, and the difference was frightening, if I can say so, this truly was contrast to the India Shining that our leaders like to talk so much about, yes they are right when they say that we have the highest pool of young workforce, but then this job fair was an eye opener wrt their employability, We had interviewed around 300 people in the whole day, and were not able to recruit even 10 of them, though these people had certificates which were a proof of their graduation and post graduation degrees, but their inability to even speak a single coherent, meaningful sentence in the English language came as a great surprise, these people were not employable, the same evening we drove down to the Golden temple in Siripuram, the temple which is fully plated with Pure gold, this surely was a very bright example of “India Shining”. On one hand we had thousands of people who had no clue as to how they will be feeding themselves and their families though they had degrees and certificates to boast of, and on the other hand we had this huge temple, plated with pure gold, and the silicon valley of India, The garden city of Bangalore is just a few hours drive from this place, where we see kids who are more comfortable talking to their parents in English rather than in their very own mother tongue.

Though I missed the program at Karunashraya last August, I sure was determined to attend the program at Chennai in October, and so I did, though I barely could manage to attend one or two practice sessions, The program in Chennai was for kids staying at an orphanage, the whole band (chennai and Bangalore) had put in their heart and soul to come up with a masterful performance, the children were elated and overjoyed, we played a couple of tamil songs, hindi songs, and even some of our very own band pieces, and they enjoyed and danced for each and every note of music that was played, they even participated and chipped in with useful contributions, they were an immensely talented lot and had a keen sense for music. It was a really great opportunity to interact with them and bring about a smile on their faces, they were so overjoyed tht at the end of the program they wanted to take photographs with us, we truly felt like “Rock Stars”.

Coming to November, well this was the most happening month I would say, first of all Ravi and Priya got married this month, it was really nice, to see them both so happy in love, I would say they were the only couple who were truly in love. We traveled to srikakulam attended the marriage there and returned back, it was nice, all four of us met up together after a long long time, only chinni and mamu were missing. While I was attending their marriage at Srikakulam, and Uday was visiting his parents at Parthi, somebody who had kept a close watch on our movements, broke into our house from the back and ransacked it from top to bottom, he took off everything that he could lay his hands on, and left, I lost my beautiful laptop and my hometheatre system, there are very few things that I am very possessive about and those two were one of those few, and weirdly they left the whole of my dvd collection and took my personal collection of CD’s which had all my collection of photographs and videos and music, damn that fellow, just when I was all set to ask the all important question to the almighty “Why Me”, we had the Mumbai attacks, God, those four days, were a nightmare, though we were miles and miles away, the brutality of the attacks could be felt sitting at home. God bless those brave soldiers and civilians who laid down their lives. For the first time in my life, I visited a police station, had to sit through a police inquiry, and even have my fingerprints verified.
December was quite cold as usual, we managed to find a house in Bangalore and shift, the present house is lovely, it’s the kind of house where you would love to come back to after a stressful day at work, it’s a big house, with spacious rooms, a sit out, and a big lake right opposite giving you the perfect view. I just love it very much, the only disappointment though was I wasn’t able to make it to the New Year program at Parthi, and Swami as usual was benevolent enough to bless all the ex band boys, our hide and seek goes on.

No comments: